HOKUM HOTSHOTS IN SUMMARY
The Hokum Hotshots are an acoustic duo based in the North East of England.
They play a wide variety of 30’s, 40’s and 50’s country blues, west coast swing, jazz and vaudeville – and they play it very well indeed. They have been in the business over thirty years now as a duo, and also as solo artists.
The Hokums are almost house-trained and would make agreat addition to any blues club or festival.
HOKUM HOTSHOTS IN DEPTH
The Hokum Hotshots met in short pants (they’ve always been excitable) in the late ‘60s at the legendary South Tyne Folk and Blues club, and have been playing together, on and off, ever since. Pigmeat, Mr. Charlie, and The Shinola Boys are names that have adorned their guitar cases in the years since that memorable meeting, but Jim Murray and Pete Mason are happy to be – The Hokum Hotshots...Hokum is ‘blues with a smile on its face’ and the Hotshots do it very well...
Instruments played include vocals (2), Steel National and Dobro Horizontal Guitars, Mandolin, Tiple (a 10 stringed South American instrument), ukulele, and acoustic 6 stringed guitars.
That makes a total of over 50 available strings, of which most are hit in the right order.
Ralph Bown, York luthier extraordinaire, has been responsible for either building or repairing (and in some cases, both) these fine instruments. The musical influences range from field hollers, through ragtime, vaudeville, country blues, jazz and swing, through to the urban blues of the 1940s. Add to this compositions sympathetic to the tradition and a large dash of humour and you get close to defining the music that is The Hokum Hotshots.
Over the years the Hokums have shared the stage with such greats as Mississippi Fred McDowell, Johnny Shines, Diz Disley, Martin Carthy, Larry Johnson, Long John Baldry, Jo Ann Kelly, Eric Bibb, Aurora Block, Kieran Halpin, Martin Simpson and many more. They have played Dublin, Cork, Banbury, Burnley, Aberdeen and Wrexham Blues Festivals, Trowbridge, Wath, Penicuik, Crawley and Gatehouse of Fleet Folk Festivals, from the Highland Festival in Inverness to a forestry festival in Holland, Paul Jones Blues programme on BBC Radio 2 and various other radio and television spots, in addition to many appearances at clubs, pubs and arts centres throughout the UK, Ireland and the Continent...
Jim and Pete play a wide variety of instruments, you will regularly see an assortment of the following gracing the stage.
Made by expert Luthier Ralph Bown, faithful replicas of:
- Gibson L00
- Gibson L1
- Martin 00028HK
- Martin Tiple
- Stella 12 string
- Gibson Cromwell
- Gibson L3
- Gibson A mandolin
- Dayton B mandola
- National Style 0
- National Triolian
- National Tricone style 2
- National Tricone style 3
- La Foley boxneck lapsteel
- Dobro style 27 lapsteel
Not to mention a Beltona Tricone, National M2, plus the odd washboard or two maybe we will put some pictures up someday, or better still come to a gig and see them for yourselves! More inforamtion about The Martin Tiple.
HOKUM HOTSHOTS ON TOUR
Gig Dates. These will also be posted on Facebook, including invites, directions, start times, no excuse not to go then!
- 11/01/2016 - String Theory Tower Mill Cafe Bar Hawick,http://www.heartofhawick.co.uk/events/event/148/string_theory_hokum_hotshots
- 23/01/2016 - The Schooner South Shore Road, Gateshead
- 10/05/2016 - Cramlington Folk Club at the Clef and Cask, Dewley www.cramfolk.co.uk
- 28/05/2016 - Saturday afternoon in the open air at The Palace of Arts, Wylam Brewery exciting new venue, in Exhibition Park, Newcastle. Hokum Hotshots plus special guest Rob Mason
- 15/06/2016 - Pot and Glass Folk Club, Eaglescliffe www.potandglassfolkclub.co.uk
- 08/07/2016 - Blues at the Bay, Cleveland Bays, Eaglescliffe
- 22/07/2016 - The Sage Gateshead. Outside for the Jump'n'Hot club 2pm, come and say hello
- 24/07/2016 - South Shields Folk Club. Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields 8pm onwards
- 24/08/2016 -The Guildford Arms Edinburgh. Part of the Festival on stage 10.20pm till midnight
- 27/08/2016 - Colne Blues Festival, Mainstage acoustic sessions 4.00pm
- 11/09/2016 - The Quays, 5 Tubwell Row, Darlington DL1 1NU (as part of Darlington R&B Festival) 5pm - 7.30pm
- 08/10/2016 - Warrington concert is postponed until probably February 2017 due to mix up on hall booking.
- 15/10/2016 The Railway, Berry Brow Huddersfield
- 11/11/2016 - Jump'n'Hot Club with Steve James at Live Theatre 8pm
- 18/11/2016 - Blues at the Cleveland Bay - Eaglescliffe, SPECIAL appearance as "The Last Gasp Spasm Band" Jugband mayhem!
HOKUM HOTSHOTS ON CD
- Larry (the Lardy Man)
- Papa wants a Cookie
- Another Year
- Hawaiian Stormy Weather
- Some Cold Rainy Day
- Downtown Blues
- Guitar Swing
- Everyboby Oughta Make a Change
- Coalman Blues
- John The Revelator
- You May Leave, but this'll Bring You Back
- On the Far Side
- Mojo Hand
- (Hey Lawdy Mama,) France Blues
- Wayayan Wonders
- Broken Levee Blues
- Railroad Blues
- Oh Death
- Dallas Rag
- Red Hot Blues
- When I Been Drinking
- Second Hand Woman
- Iron Horse
- Trouble In Mind
- WPA Blues
- Travelling Shoes
- You Just As Well Let Her Go
- Preacher Blues
- You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
- Morning Blues
- How Come You Ain't Rich?
- Winnie The Wailer
- Palakiko Blues
- Darktown Poker Club
Still In The Game
- Southern Woopee Blues
- New K.C. Railroad Blues
- Indian Girl
- What You're Sitting On
- Travelling BLues
- You Do Me Anyway
- Unknown Blues
- (You Don't Need) No Religion
- Cat's Whisker (Dog's Bollox)
- Canned Heat
- New Maybe It's The Blues
- Seminole Blues
- Tear It Down
HOKUM HOTSHOTS ON VIDEO
Don't You Lie To Me
Big Bill's Blues
HOKUM HOTSHOTS IN PICTURES
Kind words from real people!
"Music that brightens the dullest day"
"‘One of the country’s best and most experienced guitar duos’"
"The interplay between the two is at times breathtaking"
"(They are) both highly skilled acoustic multi-instumentalists."
"A good and varied set from probably the most accessible of the acoustic acts"
"The Hokums were, as ever, wonderful"